Sunday, February 11, 2018

Hello February


Hello February, we finally meet.

It’s about time, isn’t it? For the better part of my journey here in Thailand I never thought you would come. You’ve been so distant and felt unachievable. But hey, here we are.

For the longest time getting to February has felt like an uphill journey. Mainly because I have always known that this will be my last month here in Thailand. Can you believe that it is already coming to an end? With that, I want to talk about some really cool things that I've done since the new year!


I spent the New Year in Georgetown, Malaysia with my friends Sarah and Elizabeth. The colors, architecture, and food were absolutely amazing. As always, we ate our way through our vacation while stopping to enjoy the street art along the way. We spent New Years Eve eating Indian food and making new friends. We counted down to midnight while sitting in a park and watching fireworks. We were local celebrities with everyone wanting to take picture with us. Quite a funny experience!

Gluten free brownies in Koh Lipe
For the second weekend in January I ventured to Koh Lipe with my friend Jenna for a quick weekend beach escape. After hours in a van and ferry, we made it in time to enjoy some sunshine and smoothies on the beach. We only spent one night but enjoyed having a island escape none the less. I instantly fell in love with Koh Lipe and it’s walking street and expansive beaches. It felt like how all the Thai islands probably were decades ago, which was amazing.  


Koh Lipe
The next weekend I headed back up to Krabi to meet Elizabeth and Robyn. We tried for a round two since it rained the entire time for our first trip there together (in September). Elizabeth and I spent all day Saturday at Railay beach (while Robyn did an island hopping tour). We spoiled ourselves with amazing gluten free food and delicious coffee (as always). It was such a treat to actually be able to enjoy the sunshine this time around! It was also nice to be able to escape to the beach with the girls one last time before we all head our different ways.

Railay Beach
I have recently spent a few weekends at home in Trang. I took a lot of time to reflect on my school year and what I still want to do with my remaining time in Trang (and Thailand). I also gave myself some much needed “me time”. I didn’t realize just how badly I needed a few quiet days of acai bowls, nachos, and naps. Two Sunday's ago I spent at the Quarry with a few friends. It was a beautiful combination of limestone rocks and turquoise water, and the perfect place to relax.


Last weekend I flew all the way up north to Chiang Mai to meet Elizabeth and to travel further north to visit Chiang Rai and the Golden Triangle. There is no place quite like northern Thailand, and I was glad that I was able to see both of these places before leaving. The White Temple is new and unlike any temple I have visited. The Golden Triangle is the area where Thailand, Myanmar, and Laos meet. We traveled via boat along the river and stopped over in Laos for an hour to walk around. It was a short trip, but well worth it for new places with my travel buddy! 

White Temple, Chiang Rai

For now I am enjoying my last few weeks with my students. Savoring every moment because I know that it will all end very soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment