Sunday, February 18, 2018

Full Circle


Sunsets in Tanzania

Those who know me, know that my teaching journey began a while ago. I have always found myself to be a natural leader and teacher. There has been a small part of me that regretted not pursuing a degree in education and I wanted to give it a go. Since I am under qualified to teach in America, teaching abroad was a perfect opportunity for me. I decided it was safe to test the waters first by spending a few weeks teaching at a school in Zanzibar, Tanzania. I remember writing in my journal about how amazing it was to finally be a teacher. I challenged myself, met new people, and found some much needed travel independence. Most importantly, I fell in love with being a teacher. 

One of my students, Maiko
I came home from Tanzania not sure what was next, but knowing that teaching would be in my near future. After my campaign work ended, I did research and signed up to begin my teaching journey again, this time in Thailand. I left for Thailand exactly one year after completing my Tanzanian teaching adventure and summiting Mt. Kilimanjaro. How fitting!


Off to Tanzania (2016)
Off to Thailand (2017)
My time as a teacher in Thailand has been incredibly rewarding. In these past eight months I have felt more joy, gratitude, and growth than ever before in my life. This weekend was very special for me because while in Koh Lanta, I met up with my friend, Jack, from my Tanzania trip. Catching up and remembering where this dream began was a perfect way to realize how far I've come. With my time quickly ending, I am trying to have as much positive reflection as possible on this experience and where it began. Not here, not at home, but in Zanzibar. 

Sometimes we have to remember where we began to appreciate where we are today. We are especially lucky when experiences like this come full circle.    

The famous Richter

Follow Jack and Becky on Instagram @twotickets.toanywhere 
Click here to learn more about teaching in Tanzania!
Click here to learn more about teaching in Thailand! 





No comments:

Post a Comment