Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Happy Holidays





Merry Christmas from Thailand! Christmas in Thailand has been an experience like none other. The festivities started Friday morning at school with Christmas dances and performances. In the afternoon, the students had class parties full of food (lots of KFC), treats, music, and fun. It was a special day for the students because they were allowed to wear normal clothes, rather than uniforms, and they were allowed to use their cell phones for pictures and games. I can’t even count the number of times that I was asked for a selfie!



On Saturday, Elizabeth, came down from Bangkok to spend the long weekend in Trang. I picked her up from the airport and our first stop was Green House café to visit Dear and eat acai bowls. We continued our food tour with another coffee and finishing off the night with Mexican food.


On Sunday, we were picked up for our three-island day trip which took us to the Emerald Cave, Koh Kradan, and Koh Chauk. The most comical part was the 70-person human train we made to enter the cave. There is nothing quite like being attached to 70 other people, 90% who are not confident swimmers. It was a beautiful day of islands, snorkeling, and enjoying time in the sun. We returned to Trang before heading to one of my favorite restaurants (1952) for dinner and then to Trio House for chocolate bingsu.

Chocolate bingsu!

My DIY Christmas tree
On Monday, Christmas morning, we woke determined to have a positive and tearless day (to the best of our ability). The day started with coffee before heading to the motor bike shop to fix my flat tire (Merry Christmas to me)! We went back to Dear’s for another acai bowl and peanut butter banana toast. We also dropped off some of the extra sweets and candy that I got at school on Christmas. Dear volunteers at a local school in the town next to ours. She bought book bags as presents for the students and was able to fill them with my sweets! This year every student was able to get something for Christmas! While a majority of my students are very fortunate, it felt amazing being able to give back to those that are not. After a morning full of coffee, butterbeer, and laughs spent at Dear’s, it was time to take Elizabeth back to the airport. I finished off my Christmas at church watching performances and listening to songs and sermons. It was a magical night and I’m so happy that I got to spend it with my adopted Thai family and some of my students. I returned home to listen to Christmas music and open cards and presents from my parents. It's amazing how much love you can still feel while being so far away from family! 
 
My lovely P5 students at their church Christmas performance.
I feel so lucky that I was able to spend my Christmas with people who are so special to me. Elizabeth has been such an important person for my experience here in Thailand and it only felt right to spend Christmas together. But regardless, the holidays away from home (and especially family), are bittersweet and hard. I have had my fair share of tears and homesickness the past few weeks. Knowing that I have two months left here in Thailand has left me feeling appreciative for all of these special people, moments, and this experience. Home is always with me in my heart, and I will be skiing again before I know it! 

The first customers to try butter beer!


Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, wherever you are spending them this year!   

Laughs, smiles, and Christmas cheer(s)!

No comments:

Post a Comment