Sunday, January 14, 2018

Richter's Rainbows


This week at tutoring for the first time in forever, it was just my little buddy Richter and I. No other students, just a very special day, him and I. When the other boys are around he can be wild and energetic, without a care for me. But Tuesday, he was his clam, gentle, and loving self, and I loved every minute of it. At one point he stopped what he was doing to turn and look up at me. He asked, “teacher, when do you get on an airplane and go back to America?” I replied that I go in March. I pulled up the calendar on my phone to show him. He then said, “and teacher, when do you come back from America to Thailand?” My heart instantly broke. I told him that I am not coming back. I could tell that he didn’t understand. To him, Thailand is my home. So when I leave, I have to come back. In his mind, that’s just the way it works. He stayed quiet and went back to writing in his book. After a few minutes of silence, I asked if he was OK. After no reply I tried again, “Richter, are you sad?” He looked up at me with big tears welling in his eyes and nodded yes in reply and gave me a hug as I fought back my own tears.

Little does this incredible tiny human know just how much happiness he has brought me the past few months. He is unlike any other student because I can actually have full English conversations with him. We talk about school, and the world, and science, and our families, and how we are feeling. I spend more time with him than with anyone else and it breaks my heart knowing that I’m leaving him.

Richter and I recently started to write our own book. He works on it a little each time I see him. Normally drawing a picture or writing a few things, all relevant to what is going on in his life. After our talk on Tuesday, he finally wanted to draw the cover of his book. He didn’t want me to see, so I pretended to be busy with something else. The end result was a beautiful rainbow, because “teacher, rainbows make people happy, even though you go to America."  



The goodbyes just became so so real. Hoping to find the peace and strength for the rest of them over these next few months.




Want a postcard from Thailand? Click here and one will be on its way! Read more about the idea behind it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment