Monday, December 5, 2016

100 Days on a Campaign

My campaign story:

After studying political science for four years in college, the perfect opportunity came along for me to get involved in the campaign world. A friend of a friend was a regional in PA, we talked, she connected me with a regional in CO, and five days later I was officially hired by the Colorado Democratic Party to start work three days later in West Denver. Monday, July 25th I hit the ground running. For the next 100 days I registered people to vote, made phone calls, knocked on doors, and most importantly built a volunteer organization from the ground up. By election day, I was managing my own, volunteer-run office.
  

Some memories from along the way:

I spent endless hours outside of Trader Joes and Safeway registering people to vote. 


I was able to meet and listen to some of the most progressive and inspiring people out there, including: Don Cheadle, Michelle Kwan, Ted Danson, Katie Lowes, Wendy Davis, Cecile Richards, Tim Kaine, Dave Matthews, Elizabeth Warren, and Bernie Sanders.


Cheers to Steve and Ryan who traveled to battleground states in their RV to volunteer. The world needs more people like you.   

Thank you to my fellows, Shannon and Riley. You gave me purpose to my job and were more innovative and resourceful than I ever could have been.

Thank you to my GOTV Girls: Erin, Jill, and Liz. Your endurance, optimism, organization, and  belief in me made it easy to come early and stay late. 

Thank you to my friends and family who helped me along the way. Thanks to those who always sent encouraging words, but even bigger thanks to those who believed in me enough to come and volunteer. I hope that you learned that democracy is meant to work from the ground up.



Finally, thank you to all of my coworkers in region two. Thank you for making me laugh when I was stressed, feeding me when I got hangry, and for challenging me to always do more.


My biggest take away from this whole experience is that democracy is not a spectator sport. If you want change, you have to work for it. Organize and elect local officials who believe in what you stand for. I am so proud to have spent 100 days organizing and fighting for what I believe in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment