Sunday, July 23, 2017

Moving to Trang

I am so excited to say that I am settled here in Trang, Thailand and I could not be happier to call this beautiful place home for the next 8 months. Last week was incredibly busy. Monday and Tuesday we had class every day and I also started to pack. Wednesday morning we took our TESOL final exam and in the afternoon we had our graduation and a small ice cream party. After, Elizabeth, Sarah, Robyn, and I went to a beach restaurant for one last happy hour margarita and dinner. At 8:00 PM everyone helped me carry to bags downstairs and I checked out and we all waited for my taxi.  Being the first person in my group of 24 to leave was my least favorite part of it all. This group of people have become like family to me, and I didn’t want to be the first to say goodbye. After an admittedly tearful taxi ride the driver dropped me at the bus station. Which was kind of a problem since I was taking the train. He spoke zero English so I pulled out my train ticket and said “choo choo." We were on the same page and at the train station less than 10 minutes later.


My sleeper on the train

My travel to Trang was an absolutely seamless experience. As soon as the train arrived in Hua Hin, a man jumped out and helped me lug all of my bags on. He then showed me to my sleeper seat, set it all up for me, and stashed my big bags away. The train ride was 11 hours, but since it was over night it went by extremely fast. 


When I arrived in Trang, the same man helped me carry everything off and I was immediately greeted by a young Thai woman (named Sai) who saw me, threw up her arms and yelled “TEACHAAAAAAA.” What a warm welcome! She walked me to the front of the train station and told me all about her tour and motor bike rental business just right across the street. She gave me her business card and said goodbye. Next thing I knew my agent, Kuhn Tom, was there to pick me up!

Our first stop was to look at apartments. I already had an idea of where he would suggest and thankfully I loved it and decided to move in right away! By now it was about 9:30 AM and Tom took some of my important documents to go and make copies so that he could start to process my work permit. Meanwhile, I sat in my new and empty apartment, letting it all sink it. A few hours later I got picked up again to go to the big Tesco (basically Thai Walmart) to buy all of my apartment necessities. This is also when Tom decided to drop the bomb that I would be doing a teaching demonstration at school the next day. I was shocked, nervous, and emotional all over again (for probably the tenth time that day).

After TESCO, I was dropped off back at my apartment and waited for Renee to get home from school. She could tell I wasn’t doing too hot and took me out for Mexican food and to one of the local night markets.

Friday morning Tom picked me up for school. When we arrived we were greeted by the most wonderful Thai lady named P’Gat. She immediately grabbed my arm and showed me around the school and to the Foreign Language office. There are ten foreign language teachers (four Chinese teachers and six English teachers). I was seriously amazed at how incredibly welcoming everyone was. They invited me to go to a nearby restaurant for lunch and I even got a ride home!

Saturday, Renee and I were on a mission for a good breakfast. Trang is a small place so we went to the #1 place according to Trip Advisor, Greenhouse, and it was amazing. Not only did I get a delicious acai bowl, but one of the staff noticed that we were new to town and gave us multiple maps with local places to visit and things to see. 

After breakfast we went to Sai’s scooter shop (Sai was my train station welcome party) so that I could learn how to drive and rent a motor bike. She took me to an empty parking lot, showed me the basics, and let me drive in circles for 20 minutes until I got the hang of it. The hardest thing for me to remember is that I now must drive on the left side of the road! 





Well, I now officially have my TESOL certificate and today is my first day of teaching. I am still nervous as ever, but ready to take things one day at a time. Best of luck to my fellow teachers on their first (or second) day today. We can do this!   




To my XA TESOL group, I love each and every single one of you. You have helped change and shape my life in more ways than I can tell you. I came here to find myself again, and after four weeks with you guys, I finally feel like me again.  Thank you for always being patient with me and laughing at my jokes that really weren’t that funny. Please stay in touch and you’ll always have a place to stay down here (with complimentary vitamin sea). 


Graduation day

No comments:

Post a Comment